Saturday 29 December 2012

A SPECIAL THANK YOU NOTE FOR 2012



every person deserves a second chance
 I find it so strange yet see it as a part of the big picture that what I am currently doing at the juvenile prison is a plan I made over eight years ago. I had just dropped out of college after two failed attempts and had come to Nairobi to make a phone call that would change my whole life. I had come to Nairobi to call Papa Shaq who had a reggae show on Metro FM. It was the easiest of plans yet it took me three months to make the call.
The day I made the call was just like the many Saturdays before it. My cousin’s wife had invited me to a wedding. The plan was to hook me up with the many ladies we would meet at the wedding. I had taken a bath and was using her lotion when I realized it was high time I made that very important phone call. I opted out of the wedding.

“Okay, then you can buy milk, warm it and give it to Marcus,” she said giving me a twenty shillings coin. “Make sure you don’t forget James.”
“I will give him milk at 5 pm. I promise,” I replied.

girls doing an assignment during one of the reading event 2012
A few minutes later Papa Shaq came on the air. I looked at the twenty shillings coin lying next to the radio. Now I know you can tell what was going through my mind. I looked back at Marcus, my one year old nephew lying on the bed. I put two and two together and realized there was no way Marcus would tell his mom he didn’t have milk at 5 pm. I took the money and headed to the nearest phone bureau in Mbotela Estate. And as I made the most important phone call in my life, tears streamed down my face freely. It was the first time I cried in public and wasn’t ashamed about it. Days later I met an Indian and Zambian from the Don Bosco order of brothers. We struck a friendship immediately. Every Sunday, after mass we would head home where we would discuss music and talk about making change in the world. Top on our list were the things we would do in the lives of children.

children attending my second reading club event in April 2012
With time the two brothers made me come up with a yearly plan about the activities I wanted to do with children at Kuwinda where they had a project. And just like the many things I have been involved with in the past this one didn’t take off. Instead I was left with my master plan which I would look at all the time until it became etched in my mind. Then I started working as a TV producer, something which I chanced on and now love doing. There are a lot of other things and goals I have set my eyes on achieving with my life. It goes without saying that one can achieve a lot when they put their mind to to it even when they are not that cut-out for the job. The story of my life attests to this, and I have been having fun pursuing my purpose and the best is yet to come. 

I am writing a whole book about this but to cut a long story short, what I am doing with the boys right now is an exact replica of the master plan I made eight years back. The first few months were difficult and many were the times I flirted with giving up the whole idea of working with juvenile offenders.

Toloi telling the children a story during the reading event
Were it not for Richard Onchuru, Wanini Kireri, Jackline Wanjira, Grace Otiende, James Ngugi and later on James Bukachi, I would have thrown in the towel. One thing is evident if I would have done that I wouldn’t be happy. For when one finds their true purpose their life takes a different turn, and my life has indeed taken a different about-turn and I am leading a fruitful life. 




Seeing that this is meant to be a special thank-you note and not my book (which is in progress), let me thank the following:
Papa Shaq for playing Luciano’s Its Me Again Jah on Saturday just before 6 pm. Richard Onchuru, for being there through my tears, doubts and whining. Jackline Wanjira, for laying down the foundation. Judy for allowing us to use her barbershop. Maureen and Hosea, for their valuable time and energy. Chris Job and Shadrack Melody for giving me shelter at different points. 

the 2012 Christmas cake for the boys at the juvenile prison 
Tabitha Onyinge and Claudia Onsare for sporting that special yet unexercised gift in me. Christabel Atieno, for buying into the dream. Jepchumba Sang, a woman with a big heart and for buying the first pair of underwear and vest that made sure a boy goes to court with his head held high. Jonnie Muhika, for showing me a lot can be achieved out of devotion. James and Grace Bukachi, for their valuable time. Vincent and Florence Sidede, for their valuable advice.  Earnest and Dorcus Wankuru for leaving their door open for my coming and going. Grace Wangari, Evelyne Kangai, Jedidah Njue, Josephine Wareta, Monica Waceke, Grace Otiende, Jane Oluoch, Rhoda Akumu, Robert Ageng’o, Nesta Mwangi, Ute Higelfort, and the many other wonderful people behind the scenes. 

Look out for the full story in my upcoming book Life’s a Song (The Convictions of a Late Bloomer)


cover of my upcoming autobiography




No comments:

Post a Comment